Halogen Lamp Safety Precautions

There have been hundreds of accidental fires throughout the nation since 1992, which have been attributed to lamps using halogen bulbs. The latest high profile incident was the one which occurred in the Lincoln Plaza residence of "Jazz Great" Lionel Hampton Fortunately, Mr. Hampton, who is confined to a wheel chair, was assisted out of the apartment unharmed into the corridor by a friend.

  • Concerned with this growing problem, the Albertson Fire Department takes this opportunity to alert the public to their danger and recommends the following fire/life safety tips.
  • If you have one or more of these lamps in your home or office, be extremely careful where you locate them. The surface of the bulb may reach temperatures as high as 1000 degrees which will cause ignition if in contact with any combustible material.
  • Do not place halogen lamps close to combustible window curtains, bedding or other material where they may accidentally come in contact with the bulb.
  • Tall floor lamps, which can easily be knocked over by a pet or small child, are a particular problem. Not only will the bulb cause a severe burn, but it will readily ignite the carpet or bedding.
  • In addition, be sure that your smoke detectors are in good working order and that all occupants know two ways out of every room in the event that a fire does occur.