What's the fuss about candles?
Candles are actually a growing cause of fire. Every year people are killed and injured because they were careless with one. Learn how to be careful with candles.
Candles mark special occasions and create a special atmosphere. They also bring fire into your home. So treat them carefully.
Here are some guidelines:
Put them on a heat resistant surface
Be especially careful with night lights and tea lights, which get hot enough to melt plastic. TVs are not fire-resistant objects.
Put them in a proper holder
Candles need to be held firmly upright by the holder so they won't fall over. The holder needs to be stable too, so it won't fall over either.
Position them away from curtains
Don't put candles go near curtains or other fabrics - or furniture. And keep them out of droughts.
Don't put them under shelves
It's easy to forget that there's a lot of heat above a burning candle. If you put it under a shelf or other surface then it can burn the surface. Make sure there's at least three feet between a candle and any surface above it.
Keep clothes and hair away
If there's any chance you could lean across a candle and forget it's there, put it somewhere else. You don't want to set fire to your clothes or your hair.
Keep children and pets away
Candles should be out of reach of children and pets.
Keep candles apart
Leave at least four inches between two burning candles.
Take care with votive or scented candles
These kinds of candles turn to liquid to release their fragrance, so put them in a glass or metal holder.
Don't move them when they're burning
Extinguish candles before moving them. Also, don't let anything fall into the hot wax like match sticks.
Don't leave them burning
Extinguish candles before you leave a room. Never go to sleep with a candle still burning. And never leave a burning candle or oil burner in a child's bedroom.
Use a snuffer or a spoon to put them out
It's safer than blowing them, which can send sparks and hot wax flying.
Double-check they're out
Candles that have been put out can go on smoldering and start a fire. Make sure they're completely out.