Facts About Carbon Monoxide - The Silent Killer

What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless deadly gas. Because you can’t see, taste or smell it, carbon monoxide can kill you without warning.

Why is carbon monoxide so dangerous?
At lower levels of exposure, carbon monoxide can cause flu like symptoms such as vomiting and feeling light headed. Severe exposure can cause loss of consciousness, which could lead to brain damage and or death. Unborn babies, infants, senior citizens and people with heart problems or breathing difficulties are especially at risk.

Where does carbon monoxide come from?
Carbon Monoxide is a common by-product of combustion, present whenever fossil fuels are burned. Carbon Monoxide is produced by malfunctioning or improperly vented home appliances such as gas or oil furnaces, clothes dryers, ranges, ovens, water heaters, space heaters, fireplaces, charcoal grills and wood burning stoves. Fumes from automobiles, snow blowers, lawn mowers, snowmobiles also give off high levels of carbon monoxide when running. The garage door should be left open and or the automobile or power equipment should be left running outside the home. Carbon monoxide can enter through the garage into your home, which can cause carbon monoxide problems.

How can I protect my family from carbon monoxide poisoning?
The Plainview Fire Department recommends that you install at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home. If you only plan on installing one detector, it should be installed near the sleeping area. If your home has multiple floors a detector on each level provides extra protection. Choose an Underwriter’s Laboratories (UL) or a Factory Mutual (FM) listed detector with an audible alarm.